Yonkers Raceway was founded in 1899, as the Empire City Trotting Club. From 1907 through 1943, thoroughbreds replaced harness racing. Seabiscuit was one of the many famous thoroughbreds that graced this track.
The Rooney Family acquired Yonkers Raceway in 1972 and has maintained live harness racing for over 35 years.
In 2001, New York State enacted legislation authorizing slot machines at eight specific horse racing facilities, including Yonkers Raceway.
Yonkers Raceway closed its doors in June 2005 to construct the new gaming operation. The original six-story club house was renovated on the first two floors to accommodate over 2,000 video gaming machines and restaurants. A new one-story building was constructed to hold- 3,000 additional video gaming machines, an international food court, bars, an entertainment lounge and more.